Well hidden in a remote location amid the fields of a quaint little village in Belgium, one can find the small villa ‘Maison Chez Fien’. This austere little dwelling was abandoned in a hurry. Stuffed with slowly decaying household equipment, pottery, glassware and books, it acts as an untouched witness of times past.
Built around the turn of the 20th century, the HH Hotel, situated in a very touristic region in the former Eastern Germany, was frequented by many high-placed politicians, businessmen and Russian officers in its heydays. The fall of the Iron Curtain led to the hotel’s decline and it soon became abandoned in the 1990s.
Abandoned villa with a rich history dating back to the 18th century. Amongst the noble guests who resided in the villa over the years, one stands out: Frédéric Chopin. This Polish composer, well known for his virtuoso Nocturnes, Preludes, and Études, spent the night at the villa during one of his European tours. Today, many rooms of the villa are in a bad state of decay. The frescos in the lounge however, still remind us of the grandeur of its glorious past.
Abandoned large farm house in a quaint village in the outskirts of the city of Luxembourg. The stucco detailing and fine craftsmanship of the wall and ceiling decorations give the villa a sophisticated feel. On the first floor, newspapers and calendars dating back to the 1930s adorn the untouched bedroom, which features not only religious statues, but also the obligatory bedroom-wall-cross.
Doel is a little town close to Antwerp. By 2020 the town will be erased due to the expansion of the Antwerp harbour. Most of the houses have been expropriated and many have been looted or trashed. In 2007 there were officially only 359 inhabitants left in the little town. Nowadays mostly asylum seekers and squatters occupy the abandoned houses. As we speak, the inhabitants of Doel are still strongly protesting against the expansion of the harbour, trying to save their town from disappearing.
In 1905 architect Jozef August Jacobs got assigned to design a glass factory and manor-house right next to the Belgium-Netherlands border. Jacobs was the first inhabitant of the house as he became head of the factory. He later started a phosphate factory in the surroundings too. After WW2 and the difficulties with the border, things started to turn bad. In 1927 Jacobs leaves the manor-house and moves to Ghent. The new owner of the house, Bel, only stayed in it for a short period. Afterwards the place was used by Boy Scouts, until it got abandoned in 1951.