Built around 1900, the Otto Grotewohl factory was constructed using the most modern building techniques known in the epoch (e.g. reinforced concrete floors). The company, which changed names and hands regularly was mostly known for its car care products. In the mid-1990s, the production stopped.
The abandoned iron ore silos of the ARBED Terres Rouges (meaning ‘red soil’) steel production complex in Luxembourg. The silos were used to collect the raw iron ore rocks and minerals from the nearby ore mines and distribute them over the furnaces. As early as 1870 the Brasseur-Schulz factory was built on the Terres Rouges grounds. Two years later, in 1872 the first furnace was heated and by 1899 the company counted no less than 5 furnaces. Over the course of the following years, the Brasseur-Schulz company changed hands several times, becoming part of the Aachener-Hütten-Aktienverein in 1892, the Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks Aktiengesellschaft in 1907, the Société Metallurgiques des Terres Rouges in 1919 and later on ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange). When the last furnace was shut down in 1997, the whole ARBED Terres Rouges complex became obsolete.