Tag Archive | 1798

ECI (Netherlands)

ECI has an impressive history. As early as in 1798 watermills were built on this site, that was later on equipped with a large paper mill (in 1807), constructed by Burghoff, Magnée & Co. After the paper mill was sold to a potato factory about a century later (in 1908), the first (hydro-electric) power station was erected on the site. Only a few decades later, in 1926, the buildings changed hands again and ECI (Electro Chemical Industry) was born. Although the buildings were bombed during WW2, the site was soon rebuilt once the war ended only to be left abandoned by 1974. Nevertheless, as the new millennium started, many of the buildings were reconverted into offices and also a new –slightly smaller- hydro-electric plant was built.

abandoned, architecture, netherlands, nederland, decay, exploration, photography, urban, urban exploration, urbex, industry, industrial, eci, 1798, watermills, paper, mill, 1807, burghoff, magnee, hydro, electric, power, plant, chemical

Read More…