This psychiatric hospital dates back to the 1880s. Throughout the years, it has served many purposes. During both the First – and the Second World War, it was used as a hospital. Later on, it became a refuge for (male) mental patients. By the end of the 1990s, the hospital closed its doors. Even though the hospital was sold a mere two years after it shut down, the new owner never reinstated it and left the building to decay.
Built between 1880 and 1890, this fort was the last brick-built fort in Belgium. It marked the end of the era of brick fortification building in the country, which lasted for eight centuries. As part of the fortification belt around the – in those days – military capital of Belgium, Antwerp, the fort was also the most expensive one built until 1890 and the only one with a dry ditch. As the years passed, the fort was turned into a factory where warfare gasses were produced. Later on it became a military training ground. In the late 1990s, the fort lost its military purpose and was transformed into a nature reserve. Nowadays it is almost completely flooded and houses a wide array of fauna and flora.