Tag Archive | 1920

Wintercircus (Belgium)

The first ‘Wintercircus’, an indoor circus in the city, was built in 1894 by architect Emile De Weerdt. The circus sadly burnt down in 1920. In 1923, it was rebuilt by architect Jules-Pascal Ledoux, to become the concrete ‘Wintercircus’ we know nowadays. The building has a very strange history. The last circus performance took place on 28 may 1944. Afterwards the circus was donated to the city and later on it became a garage. Ghislain Mahy used the circus to house his collection of old timers and classic cars until he left the ‘Wintercircus’ in 1978.

wintercircus mahy

Read More…

Charbonnage de FT (Belgium)

The permit for the pits around FT was already granted around 1770. Around 1890, when the company became the official ‘Société Anonyme du Charbonnage de FT’, several pits were exploited. In 1920, a big accident occurred in one of the pits, causing 12 deaths. The mine already stopped producing in the mid-1930’s.

Read More…