The first ‘Wintercircus’, an indoor circus in the city, was built in 1894 by architect Emile De Weerdt. The circus sadly burnt down in 1920. In 1923, it was rebuilt by architect Jules-Pascal Ledoux, to become the concrete ‘Wintercircus’ we know nowadays. The building has a very strange history. The last circus performance took place on 28 may 1944. Afterwards the circus was donated to the city and later on it became a garage. Ghislain Mahy used the circus to house his collection of old timers and classic cars until he left the ‘Wintercircus’ in 1978.
This textile bleaching factory was built in 1879. In 1978, the factory went bankrupt. Sobelta bought the factory grounds and sold them to Artifex in 1990, who used the sheds for storage. Unfortunately, at this time, some parts of the protected steam engine were stolen, surrendering the factory into a downward spiral. After Artifex abandoned the building, vandalism and theft increased, rendering the factory into a ruin. Today reconversion plan started; demolishing the most decayed parts of the buildings and redeveloping the best preserved ones into social housing.