The abandoned iron ore silos of the ARBED Terres Rouges (meaning ‘red soil’) steel production complex in Luxembourg. The silos were used to collect the raw iron ore rocks and minerals from the nearby ore mines and distribute them over the furnaces. As early as 1870 the Brasseur-Schulz factory was built on the Terres Rouges grounds. Two years later, in 1872 the first furnace was heated and by 1899 the company counted no less than 5 furnaces. Over the course of the following years, the Brasseur-Schulz company changed hands several times, becoming part of the Aachener-Hütten-Aktienverein in 1892, the Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks Aktiengesellschaft in 1907, the Société Metallurgiques des Terres Rouges in 1919 and later on ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange). When the last furnace was shut down in 1997, the whole ARBED Terres Rouges complex became obsolete.
Although the SMTR liquid oxygen storage buildings were part of the Luxembourg ARBED Terres Rouges steel production complex, they were built just across the border, in France, in 1937. Initially a part of SMTR (Société Metalurgiques des Terres Rouges) these liquid oxygen storage buildings later became part of ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange) when the company changed hands. When the last furnace of the Terres Rouges complex shut down in 1997, the ‘centrale d’oxygene liquide’ was abandoned.