The Officers’ Quarter was built in the 1860s and throughout the course of the following century experienced a tumultuous (political) history. In the beginning, the theatre and concert hall not only featured numerous concerts by renowned philharmonic orchestras but also showcased the crème de la crème of the German acting gild in well-known theatre productions. During this time, the hall was frequently remodeled to comply with ‘modern’ demands – each time involving some of the most talented contemporary architects of the époque. During the Second World War, the Officers’ Quarter hosted many NSDAP (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei)-events and even became the official ‘Kraft durch Freude Concert Hall’. After the war, the Soviets claimed the hall and dubbed it ‘Red Army Hall’; later on, they renamed it to: ‘Soviets’ Officers Club’. In those days, the club featured a cinema, library, restaurant and a discotheque. To symbolize the German-Soviet-friendship, they even placed a giant statue of Lenin in front of the buildings. After the Red Army hed left, the place became abandoned… Lenin’s statue disappeared. Nowadays, this (once) majestic theatre hall is in an advanced state of decay.
Once a Dominican Monastery with school, dating back to the 17th century, these buildings later became army barracks during the French Revolution. Later on, the buildings served even more different purposes, from a cotton factory to a brewery, storage building for the National Railways and a basket weaving company. In its final years, before it became abandoned, the building was once again a school, this time a technical college. Nowadays the buildings are protected and are being renovated.
The Montevideo halls were built in 1895 in a typical ‘Industrial Revolution’- architecture style. The British Army used these sheds in the Antwerp harbour for storage (butter, thee, cheese, ham, cigarettes, coffee, etc) until the 1950’s. The halls are long abandoned and will be reconverted soon.
TBC sanatorium, built around 1900. The whole complex consisted of 60 buildings in a green environment and could accommodate 1200 patients. After WW2 the Russian Army took over the place and it became the best equipped military hospital outside the Soviet Union. In 1994 the Russian army left the facilities.