Originally established in 1949 by a priest as ‘Daiselpark’, this was one of the first theme parks for kids in Belgium. Located in Dadizele, a quaint little village in Western-Flanders and later renamed ‘Dadipark’, the demise of this well known park set in in 2000, after a young boy was seriously injured in the nautic jet – one of its most important attractions. Three years later the park was closed and although many groups are to this day attempting to find investors to reopen it, the city council recently announced that the park will be demolished.
Abandoned windmill annex bowling alley. The original mill was bombed during the Second World War and was reconstructed on the exact same spot once the war ended. Soon after, the mill lost its function and became a gimmicky part of the tavern built right next to it. Over the years, the tavern was transformed into a full-scale bowling alley. Around the turn of the 21st century, a new owner aspired to convert the complex into a casino, but, when the permits weren’t granted, the bowling alley and windmill became abandoned.
Abandoned cattle food factory dating back to 1930. In 1971, a company takeover took place and in the years to come, the new owner took over even more factories in the region. When the factory grounds were sold to a project developer, this factory became abandoned and will eventually be demolished, making place for future residential projects.
Abandoned ruinous castle with a rather sad history. The roots of the Grandchamp nobility in the region date back to the 15th century. Legend has it that the lord of Grandchamp was captured during the revolution and died a horrible guillotine-death while the castle was under construction. Nowadays the château of Grandchamp is nothing less than a ruin. The roof of one of the wings has collapsed, every window has been bricked and nature is slowly reclaiming the castle.
When in 1842 François Scheppers left his trade house in Brussels to build a modern factory in Lot, a quaint village near the Belgian capital, it kick-started a migration wave, which led to a substantial growth of the little village. The hundreds of workers who had become unemployed when the construction of the Fort of Steendorp was completed now moved to Lot to work in Scheppers’ Société anonyme de Loth pour la Filature et la Fabricaton de Tissus de Laines Peignées. Scheppers built his textile factory right in the middle of the railway, the river Zenne and the canal Brussels-Charleroi. This prime location allowed him to make abundant use of the natural resources in the manufacturing process (e.g. the water from the river for textile cleaning) and also facilitated the transportation of the produced goods. In the following years, the factory blossomed and Scheppers was named a member of the prestigious Orde van Leopold I for the leading role that he played in the industrialization of the country. In its final years, the Société anonyme de Loth changed its name to Cartonnex. This new name unfortunately did not bring salvation. Cartonnex underwent the same fate that many Belgian textile factories succumbed to in this period; unable to compete with cheap foreign labour markets, the factory was forced to close its doors. Recently, large parts of the factory have been demolished while other parts are being reconverted.
The villa was built in the north of Belgium in the 1920s by a rich family of industrials. When several decades later their textile group went bankrupt, the family was forced to sell its château. Today, the abandoned villa is at risk of being torn down to make space for a retail store.
The plans for this technical school were already drawn in the 1910s. However, these blueprints befell the same fate as many other building projects in this period; they were brought to an abrupt standstill when the First World War violently erupted. After the war, construction was picked up again, and by the end of the 1920s the building was finalized. Three quarters of a century later, at the turn of the 21st century, the school buildings became outdated and were left abandoned in favour of modern facilities. Nowadays the beautiful school buildings are being reconverted.
Abandoned slate quarry with a depth of approximately 170 meters. In its heydays the quarry produced more than 1 million high quality dark grey slates annually. Rumour has it that the quarry had to close in the 1980s after an accident occurred in one of the 7 underground levels. Luckily none of the workers was present in the mine chamber when this incident took place.