When all its patients were transferred to modern facilities, this old hospital became abandoned. However, it did not remain desolate for very long, as the art academy of the city soon moved in, turning the hospital blocks into college workshops. Today, history repeats itself: also the art academy has moved to more ‘up to date’ facilities, leaving an empty building, with a grand modernist chapel, behind.
Neo gothic monastery with a grand chapel. The chapel was built around 1900. As the grounds were handed over to the adjacent school, around the turn of the 21st century, plans were made to tear the chapel down and build a new school on its grounds. The city council did not object to these plans. However, recently the institute for architecture- and building conservation advised the city council to protect the chapel as well as the beautiful monastery gardens.