Abandoned ruinous castle with a rather sad history. The roots of the Grandchamp nobility in the region date back to the 15th century. Legend has it that the lord of Grandchamp was captured during the revolution and died a horrible guillotine-death while the castle was under construction. Nowadays the château of Grandchamp is nothing less than a ruin. The roof of one of the wings has collapsed, every window has been bricked and nature is slowly reclaiming the castle.
The villa was built in the north of Belgium in the 1920s by a rich family of industrials. When several decades later their textile group went bankrupt, the family was forced to sell its château. Today, the abandoned villa is at risk of being torn down to make space for a retail store.
Built in the 17th century, this castle used to house noble families until a big factory in the region bought it. The factory, that employed many Italians, housed its staff in the château and soon the castle became known as the ‘Château des Italiens’, meaning ‘Castle of the Italians’.
Built in a neoclassical style around 1750, this castle was once the crown piece of its region. The Belgian royal couple, King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth even paid the château and its marvellous green environment a visit once. Unfortunately a relentless fire destroyed much of the castle’s grandeur. A temporary alloy roof was put in place to halt further decay as renovations are planned that will soon reconvert the castle back to its original, elegant condition.
The origin of this château dates back to the 17th century. A few decades ago it was reconverted into a hotel. Poor management however led to the demise of the luxurious establishment. Nowadays the castle stands abandoned amidst its green surroundings. Inside, not a piece of furniture has been removed – the style, a truly eclectic mix of modern kitsch and classic ornamental craftsmanship, is very characteristic of the hotel business.
This majestic castle in a wonderfully quaint environment is located in the far outskirts of Belgium. After the château lost its noble owners some decades ago, it was turned into a vacation home for children. During this period, several of the building’s once prestigious chambers were transformed into class- and bedrooms. When the organization that ran the children’s vacation colony went bankrupt a couple of years ago, the castle along with its beautiful garden was left abandoned.
Designed around 1870 by the famous Belgian architect Charle-Albert, it took 8 years for the chateau to be constructed. The castle is built in a Flemish renaissance style and reveals a perfect symbiosis of classic ornamentation and modern techniques; in which the modern concrete and steel structure of the building is concealed by traditional detailing. Today, after several fires and years of severe vandalism, the castle is in an advanced state of decay.
Ruins of a once prestigious castle built in 1302 by the Lords of Haneffe. In the 15th century, the Counts of La Marck acquire the chateau by marriage. At the end of the 15th century the famous William of La Marck owns the castle. During the civil war against the Prince-Bishop John of Hornes, he often sought refuge in the Chateau. The castle stayed in the hands of the La Marck family during the Wars of Religion against the Spanish occupier and was besieged in 1568 by Prince-Bishop John of Groesbeeck, who had been attacked by the troops of William of Orange. When the last Countess of the La Marck family marries the Duke Charles of Arenberg, the family loses the castle in 1774. After the French Revolution, the castle was sold to the Counts of Oultremont in 1812. In 1869, the chateau burnt down and was reconstructed. Several decades later, it became abandoned.