The original starch company HH was founded in the 19th century, producing wheat starch, wheat starch powder and starch adhesive. In the early 20th century (around World War II) the factory moved to this location in the North-western part of Germany as their former site did not allow for an expansion of the factory. In 1991, HH factory closed its doors.
Even though the roots of the steel manufacturing industry in this region date back to the second half of the nineteenth century, this particular company was only established around the mid twentieth century – in the 1960s. Similar to many other companies in Germany, the manufacturing plant at a certain point became a VEB (Volkseigener Betrieb), a people-owned-company which – in its heydays – employed more than 10,000 workers. The factory specialized in steel parts for heavy industrial purposes – from whole steel rolling installations to cranes. After the company was privatized, it was split into different branches, each with their own ‘speciality’. Although this particular plant has been abandoned, the company still thrives as it moved its production to more modern facilities.
The abandoned workshops of one of the most prestigious earthenware companies worldwide. Since 1841 the Belgian company Royal B has built an international reputation as creator of exquisite porcelain and fine china. Many of its designs excell in superior craftsmanship and have found their way into museums worldwide.
Training complex built by RAG (the German coal mining company). The complex consists of a labyrinth of tunnels above the ground, simulating the working conditions in a real coal mine. Future RAG coal miners were trained in the complex, which – hence the large amount of litter in the tunnels – has been abandoned for some time.
Finaspan-Marien, a company with roots going back to 1890 when founding father Louis Marien started the saw-milling timber industry, is still a very active producer of MDF boards nowadays. The company became well known for having built 40000 green houses in the Hoeilaart region and having produced up to 15000 wooden grape boxes each day in its hay days. This factory however was abandoned in 2002, around the time when the company specialized in MDF fabrication, rather than veneered plywood, block board or chipboard.
The permit for the pits around FT was already granted around 1770. Around 1890, when the company became the official ‘Société Anonyme du Charbonnage de FT’, several pits were exploited. In 1920, a big accident occurred in one of the pits, causing 12 deaths. The mine already stopped producing in the mid-1930’s.