Once a Dominican Monastery with school, dating back to the 17th century, these buildings later became army barracks during the French Revolution. Later on, the buildings served even more different purposes, from a cotton factory to a brewery, storage building for the National Railways and a basket weaving company. In its final years, before it became abandoned, the building was once again a school, this time a technical college. Nowadays the buildings are protected and are being renovated.
The original cotton mill was founded in 1896. After a fusion with another cotton company, it got its name ‘Filature Nouvelle Orléans’ in 1957. In 1972 a takeover took place and the factory eventually closed down in 1990. Until 1996 the buildings were used for different purposes by Barco.