The plans for this technical school were already drawn in the 1910s. However, these blueprints befell the same fate as many other building projects in this period; they were brought to an abrupt standstill when the First World War violently erupted. After the war, construction was picked up again, and by the end of the 1920s the building was finalized. Three quarters of a century later, at the turn of the 21st century, the school buildings became outdated and were left abandoned in favour of modern facilities. Nowadays the beautiful school buildings are being reconverted.
Abandoned slate quarry with a depth of approximately 170 meters. In its heydays the quarry produced more than 1 million high quality dark grey slates annually. Rumour has it that the quarry had to close in the 1980s after an accident occurred in one of the 7 underground levels. Luckily none of the workers was present in the mine chamber when this incident took place.
What started as a small iron works, built by Köln-based engineer Julius Buch in 1873, later became one of Europe’s largest steelworks after it was acquired by the Rüchling family in 1882. The first blast furnace was built in 1883, and four more were added in the course of the next 10 years. By 1903, when the sixth furnace was built, a giant coking plant had arisen on the site. In the 1930s, the iron works further expanded, when a large ore sintering plant was added. The steelworks played an important role in the field of research and development as many new techniques were first implemented in Hütte V. The plant thus functioned as a model for many other steelworks around the globe until it had to shut down in 1986.
Abandoned movie theatre in Belgium. Merely 40 years after its opening, this cinema – which specialized in more artistic films – was forced to close due to a decreasing interest in its non-mainstream programme. Between the modern concrete walls several projectors, film reels and pellicule can still be found.
Although the SMTR liquid oxygen storage buildings were part of the Luxembourg ARBED Terres Rouges steel production complex, they were built just across the border, in France, in 1937. Initially a part of SMTR (Société Metalurgiques des Terres Rouges) these liquid oxygen storage buildings later became part of ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange) when the company changed hands. When the last furnace of the Terres Rouges complex shut down in 1997, the ‘centrale d’oxygene liquide’ was abandoned.
Abandoned villa with a rich history dating back to the 18th century. Amongst the noble guests who resided in the villa over the years, one stands out: Frédéric Chopin. This Polish composer, well known for his virtuoso Nocturnes, Preludes, and Études, spent the night at the villa during one of his European tours. Today, many rooms of the villa are in a bad state of decay. The frescos in the lounge however, still remind us of the grandeur of its glorious past.
The HH2 hospital dates back to the 1950s. Over the years the hospital expanded substantially; even adding a complete new wing. At a certain point, it became one of the biggest hospitals in the region with its own maternity, paediatrics departement and helicopter pad. The hospital only recently became abandoned and will be reconverted soon.
Abandoned large farm house in a quaint village in the outskirts of the city of Luxembourg. The stucco detailing and fine craftsmanship of the wall and ceiling decorations give the villa a sophisticated feel. On the first floor, newspapers and calendars dating back to the 1930s adorn the untouched bedroom, which features not only religious statues, but also the obligatory bedroom-wall-cross.
In its heydays, this abandoned nursing home, which was built in the 1860s, had a capacity of approximately 100 beds. When the home had to close, the place was vandalized very quickly. Soon thereafter, the chapel was hermetically sealed to preserve its beauty. Recently, a reconversion-plan has been approved; the most delapidated wings have already been torn down. The central building and the chapel are awaiting reconstruction to commence.