Built around 1900, the Otto Grotewohl factory was constructed using the most modern building techniques known in the epoch (e.g. reinforced concrete floors). The company, which changed names and hands regularly was mostly known for its car care products. In the mid-1990s, the production stopped.
Built on the grounds of a former coal mine, the impressive Gartendom was constructed around the turn of the century. Its purpose was to house a large garden exhibition. However, after only two years, this majestic glass and steel structure was abandoned. Nowadays, the only remaining witness of the domes’ former function is the tree growing in its centre. During the years of abandonment, the Gartendom fell pray to vandals, graffiti artists and BMX enthusiasts, who built a BMX course through the inner circle.
The sanatorium was built in the early 1900s in a typical German Fachwerkbau (timber-frame) – style. Built in a green, rural environment, patients with lung diseases were treated here in optimal environmental conditions for more than 80 years until the sanatorium closed its doors.
The Sternburg beer brand has a rich history dating back to 1277. Over the years, the beer production changed location more than once. At one point the brewery became a VEB (people owned company). Even though this particular brewery closed several years ago, the Sternburg brand is still alive as its production – once again – moved to more modern facilities. This industrial landmark will however soon be reconverted into an office and residential units.
Built around the turn of the 20th century, the HH Hotel, situated in a very touristic region in the former Eastern Germany, was frequented by many high-placed politicians, businessmen and Russian officers in its heydays. The fall of the Iron Curtain led to the hotel’s decline and it soon became abandoned in the 1990s.
The first Solbad, a bathhouse with thermal and medical baths, was built as early as the mid-nineteenth century. It is said that in its heydays, in the 1870s, German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche visited the bathhouse more than once. Around 1920, the original Solbad made place for the Art Deco building we can still witness today. In 1977 the bathhouse closed its doors.
These enormous mechanical monsters were used to excavate the lakes that they are nowadays parked next to. The Tagebau bagger (opencast mining) – machines measure up to 100 meters in length and weigh up to 2000 tons. After years of exploiting the surrounding territory they found their peace, functioning as colossal – yet silent – landmarks, commemorating the region’s mining past.