Although the SMTR liquid oxygen storage buildings were part of the Luxembourg ARBED Terres Rouges steel production complex, they were built just across the border, in France, in 1937. Initially a part of SMTR (Société Metalurgiques des Terres Rouges) these liquid oxygen storage buildings later became part of ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange) when the company changed hands. When the last furnace of the Terres Rouges complex shut down in 1997, the ‘centrale d’oxygene liquide’ was abandoned.
Although the valuable black gold had already been discovered in this region in the early 1800s, the first mine shaft was only built around 1905. It was approximately 500 meters deep and was first put to use in 1908. Only a few years later, on the eve of the first World War, a second shaft was put into operation. By the beginning of the second World War, the mine had expanded further and posessed its own power plant. Today, this once thriving zenith of power lies abandoned as it awaits a new destination.