Tag Archive | French

Monastery P (Belgium)

Monastery dating back to the 17th century. During the French Revolution, the monastery became a refuge for psychiatric patients. The nowadays abandoned ward was built in the 1930s and became abandoned in 2007 when the patients were moved to modern buildings on the same site. The ward will however soon be demolished.

urbex,  urban exploration,  decay,  abandoned, architecture,  photography,  urban,  exploration, verlaten, fotografie, belgium, belgie, belgien, monastery, klooster, french, revolution, refuge, psychiatric, patients

More photos…

Red Red Wine (Belgium)

This abandoned villa once had an excellent reputation as a store, where imported French wines could be bought. All nooks and corners, furbished with decorous tables and couches were used for tasting a superior selection of wine, champagne and liquor. However, at the turn of the 21st century, the company went bankrupt, leaving this beautiful mansion together with numerous unopened bottles behind.

belgium, belgie, abandoned, verlaten, photography, fotografie, decay, urban, exploration, urbex, belgique, abandonnee, architecture, villa, store, French, wine, vin, tables, couches, tasting, champagne, liquor, bottle, bottles

Read More…

S-le-Château (Belgium)

Ruins of a once prestigious castle built in 1302 by the Lords of Haneffe. In the 15th century, the Counts of La Marck acquire the chateau by marriage. At the end of the 15th century the famous William of La Marck owns the castle. During the civil war against the Prince-Bishop John of Hornes, he often sought refuge in the Chateau. The castle stayed in the hands of the La Marck family during the Wars of Religion against the Spanish occupier and was besieged in 1568 by Prince-Bishop John of Groesbeeck, who had been attacked by the troops of William of Orange. When the last Countess of the La Marck family marries the Duke Charles of Arenberg, the family loses the castle in 1774. After the French Revolution, the castle was sold to the Counts of Oultremont in 1812. In 1869, the chateau burnt down and was reconstructed. Several decades later, it became abandoned.

urbex,  urban exploration,  decay,  abandoned,  belgium,  belgique, architecture,  photography,  urban,  exploration, castle, Chateau, 1302, Lords, Haneffe, Counts, La, Marck, ruin, ruins, William, civil, war, Prince-Bishop, John, Hornes, Wars, Religion, Spanish, occupier, 1568, John, Groesbeeck, Duke, Charles, Arenberg, Counts, Oultremont, 1812, 1869, French, Revolution

Read More…

Le Kot M (Belgium)

Once a Dominican Monastery with school, dating back to the 17th century, these buildings later became army barracks during the French Revolution. Later on, the buildings served even more different purposes, from a cotton factory to a brewery, storage building for the National Railways and a basket weaving company. In its final years, before it became abandoned, the building was once again a school, this time a technical college. Nowadays the buildings are protected and are being renovated.

abandoned, architecture, belgique, belgium, decay, exploration, photography, urban, urban exploration, urbex, Le, Kot, M, Dominican, Monastery, school, 17th, century, army, barracks, French, Revolution, cotton, factory, brewery, storage, building, National, Railways, basket, weaving, company, technical, college

Read More…