Built on the grounds of a former coal mine, the impressive Gartendom was constructed around the turn of the century. Its purpose was to house a large garden exhibition. However, after only two years, this majestic glass and steel structure was abandoned. Nowadays, the only remaining witness of the domes’ former function is the tree growing in its centre. During the years of abandonment, the Gartendom fell pray to vandals, graffiti artists and BMX enthusiasts, who built a BMX course through the inner circle.
In 1915 a beautiful park was handed over to the university hospital by a noble family. The university hospital, together with the Catholic Sisters of Mercy, started a neuro-psychiatric clinic in the ‘English garden’- styled park in 1927. In 1997 the university left, leaving the buildings and park abandoned.