Built around 1900, the Otto Grotewohl factory was constructed using the most modern building techniques known in the epoch (e.g. reinforced concrete floors). The company, which changed names and hands regularly was mostly known for its car care products. In the mid-1990s, the production stopped.
Built on the grounds of a former coal mine, the impressive Gartendom was constructed around the turn of the century. Its purpose was to house a large garden exhibition. However, after only two years, this majestic glass and steel structure was abandoned. Nowadays, the only remaining witness of the domes’ former function is the tree growing in its centre. During the years of abandonment, the Gartendom fell pray to vandals, graffiti artists and BMX enthusiasts, who built a BMX course through the inner circle.
The sanatorium was built in the early 1900s in a typical German Fachwerkbau (timber-frame) – style. Built in a green, rural environment, patients with lung diseases were treated here in optimal environmental conditions for more than 80 years until the sanatorium closed its doors.