This Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW), a large workshop where locomotives were repaired and serviced, dates back to the 1890s. The impressive maintenance hall with no less than 45 tracks makes it one of Germany’s largest RAW’s. The workshop even had its own small power station. Nowadays the offices, the repair- and maintenance halls and the power station are left to rot.
This immense place used to house the first European postal service (between Brussels and Vienna). Around 1900, a big expansion was agreed, as the site became a merchandise station, big warehouse and maritime port. The works for these expansions ended ten years later. In 1987 this fine example of ‘Industrial Revolution’-architecture became abandoned.