What started as a small iron works, built by Köln-based engineer Julius Buch in 1873, later became one of Europe’s largest steelworks after it was acquired by the Rüchling family in 1882. The first blast furnace was built in 1883, and four more were added in the course of the next 10 years. By 1903, when the sixth furnace was built, a giant coking plant had arisen on the site. In the 1930s, the iron works further expanded, when a large ore sintering plant was added. The steelworks played an important role in the field of research and development as many new techniques were first implemented in Hütte V. The plant thus functioned as a model for many other steelworks around the globe until it had to shut down in 1986.
Although the SMTR liquid oxygen storage buildings were part of the Luxembourg ARBED Terres Rouges steel production complex, they were built just across the border, in France, in 1937. Initially a part of SMTR (Société Metalurgiques des Terres Rouges) these liquid oxygen storage buildings later became part of ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange) when the company changed hands. When the last furnace of the Terres Rouges complex shut down in 1997, the ‘centrale d’oxygene liquide’ was abandoned.
Around 1850, this brand new textile factory was built next to the river in this quaint little village in the German rural hinterland. After a few years, it changed hands and was transformed into a paper factory. As the years passed by, the factory became the focal point of the village and an industrial catalyst for the region’s econmy. Complete production lines were built and the company gradually specialized in innovative types of paper – from crepe and textile woven paper to aluminium foil. Today, the two full-blown steam engines of this once pounding heart of Germany’s paper industry whistle no more – the factory is torn down.
Although the valuable black gold had already been discovered in this region in the early 1800s, the first mine shaft was only built around 1905. It was approximately 500 meters deep and was first put to use in 1908. Only a few years later, on the eve of the first World War, a second shaft was put into operation. By the beginning of the second World War, the mine had expanded further and posessed its own power plant. Today, this once thriving zenith of power lies abandoned as it awaits a new destination.
This Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW), a large workshop where locomotives were repaired and serviced, dates back to the 1890s. The impressive maintenance hall with no less than 45 tracks makes it one of Germany’s largest RAW’s. The workshop even had its own small power station. Nowadays the offices, the repair- and maintenance halls and the power station are left to rot.