Built around the turn of the 20th century, the HH Hotel, situated in a very touristic region in the former Eastern Germany, was frequented by many high-placed politicians, businessmen and Russian officers in its heydays. The fall of the Iron Curtain led to the hotel’s decline and it soon became abandoned in the 1990s.
The abandoned iron ore silos of the ARBED Terres Rouges (meaning ‘red soil’) steel production complex in Luxembourg. The silos were used to collect the raw iron ore rocks and minerals from the nearby ore mines and distribute them over the furnaces. As early as 1870 the Brasseur-Schulz factory was built on the Terres Rouges grounds. Two years later, in 1872 the first furnace was heated and by 1899 the company counted no less than 5 furnaces. Over the course of the following years, the Brasseur-Schulz company changed hands several times, becoming part of the Aachener-Hütten-Aktienverein in 1892, the Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks Aktiengesellschaft in 1907, the Société Metallurgiques des Terres Rouges in 1919 and later on ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange). When the last furnace was shut down in 1997, the whole ARBED Terres Rouges complex became obsolete.
What started as a small iron works, built by Köln-based engineer Julius Buch in 1873, later became one of Europe’s largest steelworks after it was acquired by the Rüchling family in 1882. The first blast furnace was built in 1883, and four more were added in the course of the next 10 years. By 1903, when the sixth furnace was built, a giant coking plant had arisen on the site. In the 1930s, the iron works further expanded, when a large ore sintering plant was added. The steelworks played an important role in the field of research and development as many new techniques were first implemented in Hütte V. The plant thus functioned as a model for many other steelworks around the globe until it had to shut down in 1986.