Abandoned windmill annex bowling alley. The original mill was bombed during the Second World War and was reconstructed on the exact same spot once the war ended. Soon after, the mill lost its function and became a gimmicky part of the tavern built right next to it. Over the years, the tavern was transformed into a full-scale bowling alley. Around the turn of the 21st century, a new owner aspired to convert the complex into a casino, but, when the permits weren’t granted, the bowling alley and windmill became abandoned.
Abandoned paper factory. The history of the building dates back to the 17th century, when a mill was built on these grounds. Later on, this mill was converted into a paper factory, which was many years later, after the paper producing activities had stopped, again converted. This time into a secondhand car dealer shop. In its last years (before total abandonment) a fire destroyed large parts of the upper floor.
ECI has an impressive history. As early as in 1798 watermills were built on this site, that was later on equipped with a large paper mill (in 1807), constructed by Burghoff, Magnée & Co. After the paper mill was sold to a potato factory about a century later (in 1908), the first (hydro-electric) power station was erected on the site. Only a few decades later, in 1926, the buildings changed hands again and ECI (Electro Chemical Industry) was born. Although the buildings were bombed during WW2, the site was soon rebuilt once the war ended only to be left abandoned by 1974. Nevertheless, as the new millennium started, many of the buildings were reconverted into offices and also a new –slightly smaller- hydro-electric plant was built.