Monastery dating back to the 17th century. During the French Revolution, the monastery became a refuge for psychiatric patients. The nowadays abandoned ward was built in the 1930s and became abandoned in 2007 when the patients were moved to modern buildings on the same site. The ward will however soon be demolished.
Neo gothic monastery with a grand chapel. The chapel was built around 1900. As the grounds were handed over to the adjacent school, around the turn of the 21st century, plans were made to tear the chapel down and build a new school on its grounds. The city council did not object to these plans. However, recently the institute for architecture- and building conservation advised the city council to protect the chapel as well as the beautiful monastery gardens.
This monastery with adjoining church was constructed in the early twentieth century (around the 1930s) by a catholic religious order on the site of a derelict castle (which was demolished to allow the construction of the monastère). Reconversion plans have already been drafted for this building.
Abandoned monastery dating back to the 16th century. The old convent, once owned by the Jesuits, was taken over by the community of Pain de Vie (Bread of Life). In 2007 a fire destroyed a big part of the buildings. In 2009 a new fire – and this time it wasn’t an accident – hit the convent once again. The damages were so big this time that the monastery had to be left abandoned.
Once a Dominican Monastery with school, dating back to the 17th century, these buildings later became army barracks during the French Revolution. Later on, the buildings served even more different purposes, from a cotton factory to a brewery, storage building for the National Railways and a basket weaving company. In its final years, before it became abandoned, the building was once again a school, this time a technical college. Nowadays the buildings are protected and are being renovated.
The construction works for this military hospital together with the military arsenal started in 1898, but it wasn’t until 1911 when the hospital officially opened. The site consists of many hospital blocks, a surgery, a chapel and a monastery. The hospital got abandoned in 1993 and will be reconverted into lofts.