Built in the 17th century, this castle used to house noble families until a big factory in the region bought it. The factory, that employed many Italians, housed its staff in the château and soon the castle became known as the ‘Château des Italiens’, meaning ‘Castle of the Italians’.
This majestic castle in a wonderfully quaint environment is located in the far outskirts of Belgium. After the château lost its noble owners some decades ago, it was turned into a vacation home for children. During this period, several of the building’s once prestigious chambers were transformed into class- and bedrooms. When the organization that ran the children’s vacation colony went bankrupt a couple of years ago, the castle along with its beautiful garden was left abandoned.
In 1915 a beautiful park was handed over to the university hospital by a noble family. The university hospital, together with the Catholic Sisters of Mercy, started a neuro-psychiatric clinic in the ‘English garden’- styled park in 1927. In 1997 the university left, leaving the buildings and park abandoned.