This Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW), a large workshop where locomotives were repaired and serviced, dates back to the 1890s. The impressive maintenance hall with no less than 45 tracks makes it one of Germany’s largest RAW’s. The workshop even had its own small power station. Nowadays the offices, the repair- and maintenance halls and the power station are left to rot.
Abandoned power station in the industrial heart of Luxembourg. Already in the 1870s, four furnaces were built in the region. Since then, many blast furnaces have been added, which led to the blossoming of the Luxembourg steel industry and turned it into one of the largest in Europe. Originally, only the gas which was produced by the creation of cokes was used to generate electricity – next to, evidently older techniques which existed already. Later on, however, a new process was discovered to convert the furnace gas, which was released by the melting of the steel, into electricity. In 1951, the Centrale Thermique was built, which allowed to apply this newly developed technique and thus provide electricity for the surrounding industry. When the last furnace in the region was shut down in 1997, the power station lost its purpose and was left abandoned. It soon became a hotspot for copper thieves and graffiti sprayers. The building will soon be demolished.