Monastery dating back to the 17th century. During the French Revolution, the monastery became a refuge for psychiatric patients. The nowadays abandoned ward was built in the 1930s and became abandoned in 2007 when the patients were moved to modern buildings on the same site. The ward will however soon be demolished.
This psychiatric hospital dates back to the 1880s. Throughout the years, it has served many purposes. During both the First – and the Second World War, it was used as a hospital. Later on, it became a refuge for (male) mental patients. By the end of the 1990s, the hospital closed its doors. Even though the hospital was sold a mere two years after it shut down, the new owner never reinstated it and left the building to decay.
The psychiatric hospital was built in 1849 and named hospital ‘Meer en Berg’. In 1918 the hospital was renamed: ‘Provinciaal Ziekenhuis Santepoort’. Since then the hospital grew and became an institute housing 1500 patients. In 2002 the last patient left.
In 1915 a beautiful park was handed over to the university hospital by a noble family. The university hospital, together with the Catholic Sisters of Mercy, started a neuro-psychiatric clinic in the ‘English garden’- styled park in 1927. In 1997 the university left, leaving the buildings and park abandoned.