Monastery dating back to the 17th century. During the French Revolution, the monastery became a refuge for psychiatric patients. The nowadays abandoned ward was built in the 1930s and became abandoned in 2007 when the patients were moved to modern buildings on the same site. The ward will however soon be demolished.
Abandoned ruinous castle with a rather sad history. The roots of the Grandchamp nobility in the region date back to the 15th century. Legend has it that the lord of Grandchamp was captured during the revolution and died a horrible guillotine-death while the castle was under construction. Nowadays the château of Grandchamp is nothing less than a ruin. The roof of one of the wings has collapsed, every window has been bricked and nature is slowly reclaiming the castle.
The abandoned power station was built in the first decade of the twentieth century in a typical Industrial Revolution-architectural style with a grand steel roof. This beautiful building, equipped with marvelous turbines, was abandoned a long time ago and has – after decades of collecting dust – been sold to a private investor.
Ruins of a once prestigious castle built in 1302 by the Lords of Haneffe. In the 15th century, the Counts of La Marck acquire the chateau by marriage. At the end of the 15th century the famous William of La Marck owns the castle. During the civil war against the Prince-Bishop John of Hornes, he often sought refuge in the Chateau. The castle stayed in the hands of the La Marck family during the Wars of Religion against the Spanish occupier and was besieged in 1568 by Prince-Bishop John of Groesbeeck, who had been attacked by the troops of William of Orange. When the last Countess of the La Marck family marries the Duke Charles of Arenberg, the family loses the castle in 1774. After the French Revolution, the castle was sold to the Counts of Oultremont in 1812. In 1869, the chateau burnt down and was reconstructed. Several decades later, it became abandoned.
Once a Dominican Monastery with school, dating back to the 17th century, these buildings later became army barracks during the French Revolution. Later on, the buildings served even more different purposes, from a cotton factory to a brewery, storage building for the National Railways and a basket weaving company. In its final years, before it became abandoned, the building was once again a school, this time a technical college. Nowadays the buildings are protected and are being renovated.
This immense place used to house the first European postal service (between Brussels and Vienna). Around 1900, a big expansion was agreed, as the site became a merchandise station, big warehouse and maritime port. The works for these expansions ended ten years later. In 1987 this fine example of ‘Industrial Revolution’-architecture became abandoned.