This Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW), a large workshop where locomotives were repaired and serviced, dates back to the 1890s. The impressive maintenance hall with no less than 45 tracks makes it one of Germany’s largest RAW’s. The workshop even had its own small power station. Nowadays the offices, the repair- and maintenance halls and the power station are left to rot.
The huge abandoned workshops of what once was one of the biggest manufacturers of electro mechanics worldwide. The company, which was specialised in electronic engines for trains and alternators for power plants, was already found in the 1880’s, although it got its name when it changed hands around 1900. Around 1990, the group went bankrupt and fell apart into different concerns of which only one is still active today.
The Montevideo halls were built in 1895 in a typical ‘Industrial Revolution’- architecture style. The British Army used these sheds in the Antwerp harbour for storage (butter, thee, cheese, ham, cigarettes, coffee, etc) until the 1950’s. The halls are long abandoned and will be reconverted soon.