The abandoned iron ore silos of the ARBED Terres Rouges (meaning ‘red soil’) steel production complex in Luxembourg. The silos were used to collect the raw iron ore rocks and minerals from the nearby ore mines and distribute them over the furnaces. As early as 1870 the Brasseur-Schulz factory was built on the Terres Rouges grounds. Two years later, in 1872 the first furnace was heated and by 1899 the company counted no less than 5 furnaces. Over the course of the following years, the Brasseur-Schulz company changed hands several times, becoming part of the Aachener-Hütten-Aktienverein in 1892, the Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks Aktiengesellschaft in 1907, the Société Metallurgiques des Terres Rouges in 1919 and later on ARBED (Aciéries Réunies de Burbach-Eich-Dudelange). When the last furnace was shut down in 1997, the whole ARBED Terres Rouges complex became obsolete.
Abandoned power station in the industrial heart of Luxembourg. Already in the 1870s, four furnaces were built in the region. Since then, many blast furnaces have been added, which led to the blossoming of the Luxembourg steel industry and turned it into one of the largest in Europe. Originally, only the gas which was produced by the creation of cokes was used to generate electricity – next to, evidently older techniques which existed already. Later on, however, a new process was discovered to convert the furnace gas, which was released by the melting of the steel, into electricity. In 1951, the Centrale Thermique was built, which allowed to apply this newly developed technique and thus provide electricity for the surrounding industry. When the last furnace in the region was shut down in 1997, the power station lost its purpose and was left abandoned. It soon became a hotspot for copper thieves and graffiti sprayers. The building will soon be demolished.