This Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW), a large workshop where locomotives were repaired and serviced, dates back to the 1890s. The impressive maintenance hall with no less than 45 tracks makes it one of Germany’s largest RAW’s. The workshop even had its own small power station. Nowadays the offices, the repair- and maintenance halls and the power station are left to rot.
The railway lines at the Gare de Hombourg were already constructed before 1900. In 1940, during WW2, the German Army used the station and the tracks for the connection between Belgium and Aachen. After the war, Belgians started using the station and its tracks again until it was closed for passengers (in 1957) and freights (in 1962). In 1992, the tracks were demolished and the station was left abandoned. Today the tracks have been rebuilt and the station has been reconverted to a restaurant. The old rusty trains will be restored to become part of a railway museum.
This immense place used to house the first European postal service (between Brussels and Vienna). Around 1900, a big expansion was agreed, as the site became a merchandise station, big warehouse and maritime port. The works for these expansions ended ten years later. In 1987 this fine example of ‘Industrial Revolution’-architecture became abandoned.