This textile bleaching factory was built in 1879. In 1978, the factory went bankrupt. Sobelta bought the factory grounds and sold them to Artifex in 1990, who used the sheds for storage. Unfortunately, at this time, some parts of the protected steam engine were stolen, surrendering the factory into a downward spiral. After Artifex abandoned the building, vandalism and theft increased, rendering the factory into a ruin. Today reconversion plan started; demolishing the most decayed parts of the buildings and redeveloping the best preserved ones into social housing.
In 1905 architect Jozef August Jacobs got assigned to design a glass factory and manor-house right next to the Belgium-Netherlands border. Jacobs was the first inhabitant of the house as he became head of the factory. He later started a phosphate factory in the surroundings too. After WW2 and the difficulties with the border, things started to turn bad. In 1927 Jacobs leaves the manor-house and moves to Ghent. The new owner of the house, Bel, only stayed in it for a short period. Afterwards the place was used by Boy Scouts, until it got abandoned in 1951.