Industrial textile washing and painting plant. The company was founded in the 1830s. For a period of time, it was the biggest industrial textile washing group in Germany, which furthermore played a leading role in the field of chemical washing technology. Around the 1920s, the group became a VEB (Volkseigener Betrieb) – a company owned by the people.
The immense concrete coal washing plant was completed in 1954 with the financial aid of the Marshall plan (a plan funding projects in Europe after the Second World War). The washery, an ingenious concrete maze, could process up to 3000 tons of coal a day. In 1969, after only 15 years of service, the plant closed down. Reconversion plans were developed in 2005 and this (protected) industrial monument is now being transformed to be able to house the offices and archives of a myriad of cultural organizations.