Built between 1880 and 1890, this fort was the last brick-built fort in Belgium. It marked the end of the era of brick fortification building in the country, which lasted for eight centuries. As part of the fortification belt around the – in those days – military capital of Belgium, Antwerp, the fort was also the most expensive one built until 1890 and the only one with a dry ditch. As the years passed, the fort was turned into a factory where warfare gasses were produced. Later on it became a military training ground. In the late 1990s, the fort lost its military purpose and was transformed into a nature reserve. Nowadays it is almost completely flooded and houses a wide array of fauna and flora.
The military fort was part of the third fortification around the city of Antwerp. It was the only one in the third fortification with an irregular formed plan. The construction of the Fort started before WW1 but the works weren’t finished when the war started. In WW2 it got quickly conquered and served mostly as a point of distribution. In the 1960’s it became abandoned.