Met ‘Hors service’ stelt fotograaf Tim Borremans een beklijvende serie foto’s tentoon. ‘Hors service’ gunt een blik op leegstaande, vervallen, vergeten plaatsen. Koolmijnen, villa’s, ziekenhuizen, cokesfabrieken of een naoorlogs afluisterstation, deze stille getuigen bieden een unieke kijk op een roemrijk verleden en een tragische ondergang. Kil, feeëriek, unheimlich, pedant of mistroostig: deze foto’s zijn niet alleen van onschatbare historische waarde, maar laten bovendien niemand onbewogen.
Naast ‘Hors service’ maakt u kennis met het oeuvre van fotografes Edith Vercammen en Stephanie Van Raes.
Van vrijdag 17 tot en met zondag 19 mei 2013, telkens van 13 tot 18 uur.
Locatie: Kunstgalerij Maurus Moreelshuis, Moreelsstraat 3, 2800 Mechelen, België.
Originally established in 1949 by a priest as ‘Daiselpark’, this was one of the first theme parks for kids in Belgium. Located in Dadizele, a quaint little village in Western-Flanders and later renamed ‘Dadipark’, the demise of this well known park set in in 2000, after a young boy was seriously injured in the nautic jet – one of its most important attractions. Three years later the park was closed and although many groups are to this day attempting to find investors to reopen it, the city council recently announced that the park will be demolished.
Built around 1900, the Otto Grotewohl factory was constructed using the most modern building techniques known in the epoch (e.g. reinforced concrete floors). The company, which changed names and hands regularly was mostly known for its car care products. In the mid-1990s, the production stopped.
Abandoned windmill annex bowling alley. The original mill was bombed during the Second World War and was reconstructed on the exact same spot once the war ended. Soon after, the mill lost its function and became a gimmicky part of the tavern built right next to it. Over the years, the tavern was transformed into a full-scale bowling alley. Around the turn of the 21st century, a new owner aspired to convert the complex into a casino, but, when the permits weren’t granted, the bowling alley and windmill became abandoned.
Monastery dating back to the 17th century. During the French Revolution, the monastery became a refuge for psychiatric patients. The nowadays abandoned ward was built in the 1930s and became abandoned in 2007 when the patients were moved to modern buildings on the same site. The ward will however soon be demolished.